The international community had urged the Ukrainian Government to be “more aggressive” in handling the Ukraine separatists. After the separatists breached the ceasefire, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko had called on UN peacekeepers.
He said that the guarantee of a ceasefire is impossible if the “promise of peace is not being kept.”
The Ukrainian separatists have invaded the town of Debaltseve despite the ceasefire agreed upon the previous week. Around 2,500 Ukrainian military personnel had been moved out of the town on Wednesday. Despite the withdrawal, six soldiers and 100 were wounded as the separatists moved in.
According to Ukrainian Separatist Spokesman Eduard Basurin, the town was now “completely under the control” of the separatists. They are only cleaning up the “scattered” pockets of resistance that were being neutralised.
The US White House said that the separatists and Russia had failed to comply with the terms of agreement they’ve signed in Minsk last week.
However, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that the rebels did not violate the ceasefire because it was a rebel-held territory during the time.
Analysts view that the loss of Debaltseve could be a great problem for Ukraine’s Military. Because of its position as a transport hub between the separatist-invaded cities of Donetsk and Luhansk, it could serve as a fortified position against any military attack.